Friday, December 31, 2010

Book Review: Stormbreaker (Book 85 of 100)

don't usually read spy novels. I'm just not a James Bond girl. But when I saw Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz on my library's audio bookshelf, I picked it up. It's the story of Alex Ryder, a young man raised by his uncle after his parents die. As the book opens, his uncle dies too when Alex is 14. Suddenly Alex becomes aware that his insurance selling uncle was really a spy for British government and now MI-6 which is Britain's FBI wants Alex to go in and help find the killers. Never mind that he is only 14.

This book will have you on the edge of your seat from the moment it starts to the moment it finishes 4 hours and 37 minutes later. I was substantially annoyed when my library's copy of the book died right at the end of the third disc. The fourth one wouldn't play at all. Of course, the disc ended right at a very crucial moment. Audio book manufacturers do that to make sure you pick up the next disc instead of going to bed or doing work. I had to wait nearly a week to find out what happened to Alex. I know it's fictional and he's not going to die because it's a young adult book, but I was on the edge of my seat anyway. I was very happy when Shaniek brought it home. The ending is still a little confusing for me, but that may be because I was doing other things as I listened to the book. It just didn't hold up as well as the rest of the book did.

I rate this book an 8.0 out of 10. That's a very good rating for me. Most spy novels get a 6.0 or 7.0. I'm grateful that East Longmeadow Public Library had a copy to lend me when the one from Belchertown broke. I think that this book could potentially help bridge the generation gap if you need to do that at your house. Whatever your age I think you will enjoy reading it. And apparently Alex will return for many future adventures. That's always a good thing as long as the sequels don't suck. I hope Andy Horowitz will take some lessons from Eowin Colfer author of the Artemis Fowl series who manages to make every Artemis adventure stand on its own, although they are best read in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment