Friday, December 31, 2010

Book Review: Front Porch Rocking Chairs (Book 74 of 100)

At only 1 disc of 54 minutes, Front Porch Rocking Chairs by Kathryn Tucker Windham was the shortest book I’ve ever read. I counted it as the memoir category in the library program, but it feels like cheating. I got the audiobook from my club today and returned it today also.

The weirdest thing was that the book had no introduction. I just started right out in this woman’s nifty Southern voice. I thought it was wrong, at first. But when I tried to restart it to hear that it wasn’t there. That was the first odd thing in this book.

Overall, I liked this book. It was a collection of Southern memories. I’m not Southern. I’m a born and bred Yankee, but I grew up in a tiny town. So, I could relate. My two favorite stories, although I liked them all, were Front Porch Rocking Chairs and Purple Martin Houses. They are the first and last stories on the tape.

Kathryn Tucker Windham is a fun writer who uses language prettily. At one she tells readers that her mother used to recover couches without uncovering the previous year’s edition. You’d find “6,8,10 years of summers” under there. I’d rate this book an 8 out 10. It would’ve gotten a nine, if it were longer. The entire book is like an appetizer. I think I’ll read more of this author’s work. She writes these little hors d'oeurves of books, apparently. They are so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment