Friday, December 31, 2010

Book Review: The Eyre Affair (book 44 out of 100)

I like time travel novels, as you all know. The first Thursday Next novel: The Eyre Affair is just such a novel. Everyone loved it, which usually means I will hate it. I wasn’t thrilled with it. I’m not sure what’s going on. In this weird alternative history novel, people can jump back and forth into famous novels, for example Jane Eyre.

This world is weird. They have Dodos (the extinct birds) as pets and books are a high commodity. I don’t understand the universe, as of yet, but will read more. Shakespeare doesn’t exist (don’t ask me how).

Thursday Next is a literature detective or literatech. Her job is to protect works of literature. Being a bibliophile, you’d think I’d love this kind of work. However, I’m not thrilled with it.

I like Thursday Next, her long suffering love interest Landen, and their pet Dodo. They are very interesting characters. I hope that the next few novels will clarify the world, so I can see Thursday as the wonder the rest of the planet seems to.

For now, on first read-however- 6.5. As I said, I liked the characters, but the plot made little sense. In fact, I think one part of the story was repeated verbatim in another part, but that may have just been my misplaying. I won’t truly form a opinion until I read the second book, which should hopefully arrive from the library tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment