Friday, December 31, 2010

Book Review: Something Rotten (Book 56 of 100)

This is the 4th book in the Thursday Next series. There is one more to go and then I'll be like other fans waiting on a new installment. I'm happy to report that the more Fforde I read the more sense it makes. This makes me because at one point at compare Jasper Fforde to the Bible, in terms of confusion in regards to the verses Genesis 36-38. Perhaps the more Bible I read it will go as the Thursday Next series did, that is to become more and more clear.

I'm happy to report that Thursday got her husband back, but I won't tell you how. Now will I spoil the end for you, which was very surprising, wonderful, and lucid. I liked learning even more about the Well of Lost Plots. Another bonus feature was the long Neanderthal section. I'm glad that the 'thals as they are called triumphed over the evil Goliath corporation and learned how to correct their enforced sterility, a cruel corporate check. One thing I like about Fforde is that he quietly condemns things like cloning, without beating his readers over the head with his opinions.

I rate this book an 8.5. I think that was because it just makes more sense and is written much more traditionally in terms of narrative arch. I think my readers will like it, even though this book makes the most sense of the quartet, I think all readers should start as I did with The Eyre Affair. It will help you understand Thursday's universe

No comments:

Post a Comment