Friday, December 31, 2010

Book Review: Mom, You're Fired! (Book 64 of 100)

When I was a kid, I read a book called Oh, Honestly Angela! It was the cute story with an adorable six-year-old kid sister. I didn't know this was a series of 4 books at the time, or I would live read them at the time. The author, Nancy K. Robinson died at 51 in 1994. The year I went to college. I found out about the series when I was doing some research on library books to read. I don't even remember what I was looking up, but remembering how much I liked the original book, I ordered the series on inner library loan, even if they are for kids.

I what to write for kids one day. I still enjoy Ramona and Encyclopedia Brown at times. It's fun too read a good story for children every once in awhile. Tina (9), Nathaniel (11), and Angela (3) are normal kids with normal kid concerns. That is occasionally they fight with friends, are embarrassed by mom and dad, and lie. Of course, things occasionally blow up in their faces. Sometimes they also learn that what they thought was important isn't.

Mom, You're Fired is basically the middle child, Tina's, story. Her bratty, best friend Melissa's mom is perfect. Her own mom is unique and she feels, at times, "humiliated" as her elder brother says. At one point, it got so bad that she told her new and nicer friend Sarah that her mom is her babysitter.

I rate this book an 8, if I'd been an age appropriate reader it would have been rated an 8.6. It was a fun read, despite my adulthood. Get it for the kids in your life. They'll enjoy, as I still do, kids who act real rather than ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment