Friday, December 31, 2010

Book Review: Crashed (Book 98 out of 100)

I was so pleased when I found this audio book arrived yesterday or at least I found it yesterday when I had someone check the mail. I fell in love with the Skinned trilogy when I dove head first and sleepless into the first volume a few months ago, listening to the entire book in one night in which i think i got 45 minutes of sleep. As you may remember it's about a girl who had an accident and was forced to upgrade to a mechanical body. In the second installment, she's still getting used to her new surroundings but seems better adjusted. She's moved in to this lavish estate owned by another mech, which is what they call themselves, and is basically pretty okay.

This is not the case for a lot of other mech upgrades especially the ones who were the first "volunteers". These people were basically disabled but because the future is very screwed up unable to survive in their present state, so they opted to upgrade instead of die by starvation. A lot of them are still living with bad memories from that.

Also a lot of the other later uploaders were disabled very severely and had to upload if they wanted to have a life at all. I don't mean they were like me. A lot of them were bedridden which I've been for about three weeks and couldn't bear on a 365 day basis.

A subplot I'm liking because I'm a hopeless romantic and love a standard, adolescent girl on girl romance (if there is such a thing), is going on between Ani and Quinn. Quinn before the download was basically "a bedridden, amputated lump", after a car accident at the age of 3. Quinn after the download was basically interested in screwing everything in sight (m/f it doesn't matter), smelling the roses, and spending her dead parents money. Ani, unfortunately, who seems sweet and innocent, adores her. Bad combination. The slut and the nice young lady. But, just as Quinn decides to stop acting slut like (and least it seems that way to me) and pay attention to the girl who lavishes affection on her. I think she freaks out slightly and decides to sleep with Jude, the mech leader and one of Ani's closest friends. This doesn't go over well and Ani gets sucked into a bad situation. I'm not going to go into that here, because it will ruin the book. Let it suffice to say that when she's better, I hope they get it together. I think they could be each other's balance. Kind of like my girl and me, when we let ourselves give into us, when we don't let it scare us. Maybe that's why I'm rooting for these people so hard. But I hope Robin Wasserman doesn't forget to resolve them in the trilogy's conclusion Wired, which I hope to barrow from the library, as soon as it's out of processing.

I rate this book an 8.5/10. Read Skinned first. Crashed is a good book on it's own, but it helps if you know the back story. Part of the tale are horrifying so don't read right before sleep, unless that sort of thing doesn't bother you. Also don't start the book when you have lots of other stuff that will drag you away from the story. It's that good a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment