Thursday, December 30, 2010

Book Review: Only Passing Through (Book 34 or 100)

Only Passing Through is supposed to be a children’s book about Sojourner Truth. It was on 41 minutes long. Even though I’m an adult, who lives near Northampton where Sojourner lived for a long time, I didn’t know that her “birth name” was Isabella or that she sued a white slave-owner to get her son back. You go, woman!

I like that they had actual speeches and letters in her actual language. One was the letter about her visit with Abraham Lincoln and the other was her famous speech Ain’t I a Women. Young and adult readers alike will enjoy it. I did. I also liked the music elements, there are two beautiful songs.

You should read this book, even if you are an adult. I think it will brighten you’re mood, even if you’re having a bad day, as I am today (with various transit things and bills and getting to DC). Still, whatever you are going through is nothing compared to what Sojourner went through. Get some perspective!

I loved this audio book. I’m buying it for my honorary niece, because she loves music and plays. This will teach her some things while she’s being entertained. I rate this book a 9.75 out 10. Buy it for the children/teens in your life. Buy it for yourself. It's totally worth the money!

No comments:

Post a Comment