Sunday, February 6, 2011

Book Review: Cupid (Book 15 out of 150)

Any Latin student, ever, knows the story of Cupid and Psyche. I’m no exception. I like, every other former teenage hopeless romantic, enjoyed the familiar tale. My adult self especially liked Julius Lester’s 2007 version.

I like the fact that it was such African-American voiced tale with lots of African moments. Too often, love stories are very white. As if black people never have everything to do with love, at least not the real kind.

I am like the fact that Cupid was virgin who had never been in love until Psyche. I guess I never envisioned Cupid that way. Nor as such a mama’ boy (always a problem for everyone be the the mama’s boy or the person who is love with them).

I like Psyche, she’s eventually a strong person who fights for what she wants. Once she figures out what that is. Cupid eventually learns to do that, as well, as every person must.
I love this book. It’s good for adolescents. I rate a 9 out of 10. It’s a good Valentine’s Day treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment