Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lost world: the alien voices series (book 13 out of 100)

It's not what I was expecting. It's based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Lost World, but is a bit different in that famous actors act out the book, or what I assume to be part of it. Famous voices include Leonard Nimoy and john de Lancie. This book actually convinced me to stay in my audio book club, as there's apparently a whole series of them, all of which are narrated by people associated with the Star Trek universe. These books are much easier going than your standard audio book, which usualy comprises at least six discs. In fact, the volume I listened to was a two-disc set and very easily accomplished in a couple of hours.

The story basically follows fledgling journalist Edward Marrow, pretty female scientist Elizabeth Spindley, and a host of other familiar characters. However, in no way does it exempt you from reading, or in my preferred media, listening to, the actual book. In fact, that's first on my list when I get home from my weekend away.

It will be a nice distraction, as will the other books in this series from three thick tomes I must endeavor to ingest, if I want a Mount Holyoke fellowship next fall. However, when I'm eating, or when I'm done with heavy academic rigor for the day, I plan to pop in this much more pleasant volume. This size of book is ideal for people who don't have a lot of time. It would certainly make your daily commute much more enjoyable. I would rate this book and hopefully other books in the series, 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment