Friday, August 27, 2010

Black Water - Pendragon Book 5 (Book 23 of 100)

finished this book right before I was going to New York for the weekend. I think I stayed up too late listening to it and forgot I had to get up in the morning, but it was worth it. I think I would have died of suspense if I had to wait until the today to find out what happened. My PCA Amy mailed it back to the audio book club for me so I was hoping that adventure seven would be waiting for me when I returned but no such luck.

Black Water continues the story of traveler Bobby Pendragon. Bobby, as you may remember, is on a mission to save Halla which is basically the Universe (from what I can figure out) from this evil character called St. Dane who just (to my speculation) might turn out to be the devil himself.

This adventure takes Bobby to Eelong, a territory run by intelligent cats called Clees. In this territory, the humans are called "gars" and are basically slaves of the Clees. It's very Planet of the Apes like except I think this was more imaginative and that's saying a lot because I love Planet of the Apes.

It's Bobby's job, along with Kasha and Boone, the traveler and the acolyte from Eelong to repair the damage from years of mistrust among the various peoples of Eelong. If they don't figure out a way for Clees and Gars to get along, the entire territory of Eelong is going to be destroyed in the case of the Gars courtesy of a poison provided by St. Dane or starve to death in the case of the Clee society. The only way for Bobby to save the day is by breaking the number one traveling rule: though shalt not mix anything from one territory with anything from another territory. He knows it's not a good idea to break this rule ever. But, what other choice does he have? I'm not going to tell you what happens in the end because you should read the book. But, you'll be surprised. I was.

I like this book the best out of the Pendragon series I've read so far. It really makes you think. I have some theories about why certain things are going on, but I'm not going to share them with you. Formulate your own. I don't want to ruin the experience. When I get to the end of the series, I'll post a commentary outlining my theories and whether or not they've proved true. But, you'll just have to wait and see as I have five more books to go. I rate this book a 9 out of 10. It didn't lag in places as MacHale and every other writers writing usually tends to do. This volume brought Courtney's confidence and dealt a little more with the internal workings of one Mark Diamond, Bobby's best friend. The two of them are actually the reason I'm formulating some of the theories I've formulated. My advice would be to pay very close attention to the development of these two characters over the next five volumes.

You should read this book. You'll like it even if you're not a kid. I'm not and I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment