Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Experiment (book 15 of 100)

I know I should be writing more practical stuff, such as an Examiner local angle article or fixing MILCB’s newsletter. Baring that, I could deal with the 3 thick Mount Holyoke tomes that are on my reading list for February. Instead, I’m writing a book review for The Experiment by John Darnton. This book stole me four days ago and wouldn’t let me go until I finished it, about 30 minutes ago. As much as I love books and am an avid reader, even more so without cable, its the rare volume which will pull me away from all matters practical and into it’s web.

I discovered the author when I picked The Darwin Conspiracy off of the Jones Library Shelf, randomly. I then read Neanderthal, a race of humans (which you know if you read me regularly) I am obsessed with to the point of near unhealthiness. The Experiment is his third work I’ve devoured. The fourth is on my desk and I ordered the 5th though interlibrary loan program today.

The Experiment deals with the taboo topic of human cloning. What happens if this technology falls into the wrong hands? The story is the turning, twisting tale of Jude, Skylar, and Tizzy (Elizabeth) as they strive to discover their pasts and futures, as well as how they all relate to each other.

This is a very well researched novel. You gain knowledge of just how well researched if you listen to author interview which is located on the final disk. The novel, itself, is told on 15 disks. I think it’s slightly obnoxious to place an interview with yourself on a separate disk from your own book. Even with that opinion, I enjoyed the interview. Mr. Darton likes literary novels, not the science based novels he tends to craft. He recommended one called Plain Song. I’ve never heard of it, but think I might check it out.

Lastly, it was interesting to find by beloved alma mater Purchase College, making a cameo appearance. Although it should be noted that Purchase students aren’t so dumb as to let an ultra secret science facility be placed on campus without any raised eyebrows. We are a campus of activists. At least we were in my day! I’d rate this novel a 9 out 10. Schedule several listening days, though. This book might be a bit much to take in all at once unless you have a whole with nothing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment