Tuesday, September 25, 2012

On Saying Good Bye...

The note I wrote to accompany Shelia, my old wheelchair, as she began her new life as a loaner in the durable medical equipment recycling program.

This is Shelia, named after a ninety eight year old friend who refused to enter a nursing home after being hospitalized with the flu.  She’s been through hell and back with me.  She doesn’t climb hills or do non-macadam sidewalks well.  Have someone behind you on these surfaces.  Most ramps are okay.  Her average battery charge is 20 minutes to half an hour, so always, always carry the charger with you.  Restaurants and malls are good about letting you charge up in my experience.
 
If you don’t appreciate the stickers, simply get a piece of cloth and drape it over them.  Drive one is my indoor gear.  Drive 2 is faster.  Please keep in mind that the average chair life span is 5 years and she’s 11.  I think that’s a pretty good run.

If you have problems, feel free to call.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment